Odisha Cabinet takes crucial decisions on COVID management in the State Lock down extended from 15th to 30th April
The Cabinet meeting was held today under the Chairmanship of Hon’ble Chief Minister, Sri Naveen Patnaik through Video Conferencing today at 10.45AM. The Cabinet took crucial decisions regarding prevention and management of COVID-19 in the State. Briefing the media after the meeting, Chief Secretary Sri Asit Tripathy said the following-
- The Hon’ble Chief Minister thanked the people of Odisha for their sincere cooperation during the lock down and shut down etc. He appreciated the sacrifice of common people during the difficult times and acknowledged their contributions in adoption of the ‘social distancing’ norms and restrictions imposed by Government.
- The Chief Secretary apprised the Cabinet about the steps taken for containment and prevention of spread of COVID-19 viz creation of quality health infrastructure; setting up the dedicated Covid Hospitals; procurement of sufficient quantities of medicines, testing kits, PPEs etc.; mobilization of additional doctors and paramedics; and, support to people for food safety and livelihood.
- The Cabinet ratified the decisions of the Empowered Group of Ministers for procurement of emergency medical equipment, testing kits and other consumables, in the interest of protection of public health.
- The Cabinet also ratified procurement of one lakh rapid diagnostic kits from a single source supplier, subject to availability, in view of the current health emergency. Antibody-based Rapid Diagnostic Kits for COVID-19 testing has been approved by ICMR on 4th April. This can be used for rapid screening of a large population within a short time. However, for confirmation, positive cases will be retested by RTPCR method.
- The Cabinet also ratified the proposal of the Government to promulgate an Ordinance by Hon’ble Governor for amendment of the Epidemic Diseases Act, 1897. The amendment would make the Act more stringent with imprisonment for a term of 2 years or with fine up to Rs. 10000/- or both. Every offence under this act shall be cognizable and bailable.
- The Cabinet approved the amendment of the Odisha Covid 19 Regulation 2020. The Regulation provides penalty for not wearing masks in public places. Officers have been designated for enforcing and collecting the fines, which will be INR 200 /- each for first three instances and INR 500/- each beyond that.
- The Cabinet approved the proposal for amendment of the Odisha Contingency Fund Act, 1967 raising its corpus from Rs. 400 Cr. to Rs. 2000 Cr. which would be promulgated through an Ordinance.
- The Cabinet decided for extension of the lockdown under DMA, 2005 from 15th April till midnight of 30th April, 2020. Further, the State Govt. has requested the Govt. of India to extend the national lockdown for the same period in the interest of the people of the nation. Additionally, Cabinet resolved to request Government of India for keeping the air and rail passenger services under suspension till 30th April.